Diet: What I've been Eating lately & Benefits from Plant-based Food

photo adapted from:www.premiumgroup.co.in 

As the saying goes, you are what you eat. So, consider including plant-based food into your everyday diet.
This year my new year resolution is about shed off some fat, and so I put weight loss as my priority. After I done my body check, I was so shock that I've too much fat compared with lean muscle in my body. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not pointing fingers on those fat people, is just that the health report alarmed me.
I thought I'm very okay with my current body size but actually, after I got my health report, the whole impression has changed.

Few days ago, when I was working, I read about an article about food and diet which inspired me to share some of my thoughts and information I obtained from the article. At the beginning of this month, I begin my diet plan. Since I still not able to workout as much as I should, I decided to start from food I consumed.

Basically I have breakfast as usual but with some changes on what I eat. Since I live together with my in-laws, most of the time breakfast is already been prepared by maid before we all wake up, she used to cook fried noodles, keow teow and fried rice which I'm quite sure is taught by my in-laws. I noticed taking these in the morning isn't as healthy as I used to have when I was still staying with my parents. I decided to get back to my simple and healthy breakfast and you know what, it keeps me fulled.

As for my lunch and dinner, I try to eat as much vegetables as I could. I've been cutting down my rice intake as well. At first, it was terrible, I felt hungry almost every hour and started to look after something to munch. But then, my determination of shed off weight keep me safe from all the food tempt. At night, it was the worst, since I had my dinner earlier than before, I struggled with hunger till the next day. What I've done?
I started to eat dinner earlier, probably around 5-7pm, but never after 7pm as I believe the extra food that have not been digested and been metabolized will end up as fat store in my body. Oh my, the 1st week of diet was terrible for me. But now, I'm glad I've gone through .

For your information, everyday once my work done, I normally reached home at 10.45pm and then I will have supper together with my hubby and his family. Holy moly, when I flashed back what I've been doing the  pass year it was a really bad habit and diet I've developed. I have very heavy supper with meats, curry, pizza, fried chickens, McDonald burgers, name it I have almost all the fast food and instant noodles in my stomach. This year, I'm aware that these food will kill me soon and shorten my life, so again I decided to get rid of it. Sometimes it is hard, but if there's a will there's a way.

Here's some of my tips and foods I've been eating lately. I don't want to have all sort of modern disease such as obesity, heart attack, diabetic, high blood pressure, cholesterol etc.

For Breakfast:
- 3-4 tablespoons of oats (add hot water will do)
- 2 slices of wholemeal bread (with St. Dalfour jam & a slice of cheese/ chunky peanut butter)
- 2 hard boiled eggs (not everyday)*
- 1 cup of plain greek yogurt & fruits (not everyday)*
- 2-3 small sweet potatoes (not everyday)*

Lunch
- 1/2 scoop of rice
- stir fried vegetables ( have at least 2-3types of vegetables)
- fish (preferably steamed)
- a bowl of soup
** sometimes, I wake up around 11am, so after I have my breakfast, I skip my lunch because I'm too full to eat my lunch **

Dinner
- Same as my lunch but with more vegetables and less rice
- Sometimes, I have bread/cereal as dinner
- Sometimes, if I'm not in the mood to eat, I will just have salads (no mayonnaise)

Supper
- I still have my supper, I tried to get rid of this bad habit, but you know I'm too hungry to go to bed.
- 3-4 tablespoons of oats  or
- an apples or
- 1 cup of plain greek yogurt with fruits ( if I had it during my breakfast, then I will not take it again) or
- 2 slices of bread with peanut butter and jam / a bun    or
- a bowl of soup ( avoid starchy soup)  or
- a glass of hot beverages (soy milk no sugar added)


I like vegetables more than meat. I believe meat these days contains too much growth hormones, they aren't healthy as the organic one. Below are what I've had mostly:-

  • Pumpkin - rich in beta-carotene and alpha carotene, which fights lung and ovarian cancer
  • Broccoli - triggers anti-oxidant activity that can last for days. Contains sulforaphane and indole-3-carbinol that are heroes in fighting prastate, bladder, colon and other hormon related cancer
  • Berries - blueberry, raspberry and strawberry are rich in anthocyannis that helps to prevent tumour growth 
  • Tomatoes - contains lycopene, the active ingredient  that can reduce the risk of several types of cancer. Rich in antioxidant helps maintain youthful skin (not recommend for gout patient)
  • Tea - whether is black or green, both have anti-cancer properties. Helps in boosting the metabolism 
  • Carrots - rich in beta -carotene and vitamin A, helps improve vision, reduce risk of lung, breast and colon cancer
  • Mushrooms - good source of vitamins B which is important in providing energy for protein, fats and carbohydrates break down and B12 is important for our nervous system. It is rich in anti-oxidant gluten free, low calories, fat free, cholesterol free and very low in sodium (not recommend for gout patient)
  • Sweet Potatoes - contains vitamin B6, which can reduce homocysteine in our body and this reduce the degenerative disease such s heart attacks. I found that sweet potatoes helps my digestive system and reduce constipation. It also helps in boosting energy levels and keep me in happy mood
Taking more vegetables not only keep me full, it helps my health too. I noticed vegetables that are rich in fibre helps my bowel movement and reduce constipation. Tomatoes and berries truly helps my complexion, tomatoes seems to work very well for me as I noticed my acne scar heals faster and almost to unnoticeable.

Lastly, think before eat and eat wisely. My current diet helps me lose about 1.5kg, which I'm happy to tell and share, vegetables diet works! Not only that, my skin has improving so much and I'm now more happy and more energetic. 
Before I put this post with a full stop, do remember to drink more water as water helps to remove toxin out from our body through sweat and urine. Drinking plain water instead of high sugar drinks is important as well. I strongly believe, a well balance diet not only keep my body energetic it also keeps me in happy mood. Always remember, we should not have something too much or too less, moderation is the key. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be very happy if you leave your footprints here. Thanks